Back Specialist Athens, GA – Introduction
If you are looking for a back specialist in Athens, GA, then you have come to the right place. As a Chiropractor in Athens, Dr. McClelland specializes in treatment of the spine.
What is Chiropractic?
As defined by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCAM), chiropractic is a health care profession that focuses on the relationship between the body’s structure (primarily of the spine) and its functioning as controlled by the nervous system. Chiropractors use a variety of methods to treat their patients, but rely primarily on corrective chiropractic adjustments to the patient’s spine to optimize the flow of energy through the nervous system.
Bonus fact: the word “chiropractic” is derived from the Greek word cheir (hand) and praxis (practice) which describes a treatment literally administered by hand. Chiropractic is built on the concept of hands-on therapy.
When to see a chiropractor?
A lot of people assume that the only reason to see a chiropractor is for back or neck pain. Most will wait to see a back specialist until after an accident or when they can no longer cope with the pain. Our back specialist in Athens not only treats spine pain and back or neck injuries, but his treatment also may prevent disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous system and other issues. Here are several reasons you may want to see a chiropractor.
- Back pain and neck pain: Did you know that more than 10% of the population worldwide struggles with low back pain and that it is the most common occupational injury in North America? There are many various factors that cause back or neck pain, such as degenerative disc disease, whiplash, improperly lifting something heavy, poor posture or seated work. A chiropractor can assist you with pain relief without the need for invasive surgery or painkillers. Moreover, if you are experiencing chronic back pain, don’t wait any longer; our back specialists are here to help you. We treat using a variety of techniques that can solve what is causing your discomfort, as well as help relieve pressure. We also recommend changes to your lifestyle to ease pain.
- Headaches and migraines: Another very common condition that is regularly managed by our chiropractor is headache. Pain that you experience during a migraine or headache might occur for many reasons, including a misalignment in the neck or spine, oxygen deprivation, or stress or dehydration. Our back doctor can help cure, prevent and alleviate the symptoms of headaches and migraines by removing blocking structures causing the tightness in the back and strain on the spine. Regular visits to our back specialist in Watkinsville can reduce the intensity and frequency of headaches and migraines.
- After a car accident: If you were involved in a car accident, you might experience whiplash, a strained back or other injuries. Even if you don’t feel any pain after an accident, your muscles or nerves may be damaged, which won’t be noticed until later. That’s why you should visit our chiropractor, who will evaluate whether you have sustained any injuries that need treatment and can help you heal.
- Pregnancy: Chiropractic during pregnancy is highly recommended as it helps to reduce and/or alleviate pain in the neck, back or joints by relieving the added stress on your spine and correcting posture problems. Additionally, regular chiropractic can make the birthing process faster and easier by helping with optimal baby positioning. It can help to ease morning sickness, as well.
- Playing sports: Both professional athletes and non-athletes can benefit from sports chiropractic. Anyone who has an active lifestyle and spends time working out or playing sports should receive regular chiropractic adjustments in order to prevent injury, recover from injury, and reduce wear and tear on the body. Our back specialists focus on manipulating joints, soft tissue, and the spine to improve recovery time and prevent injury. They can also teach you right techniques and stretching methods for your particular sport to help achieve the best possible performance.
How does chiropractic treatment work?
Our back doctor in Athens is highly qualified and experienced in diagnosing and treating any problems that are related to the body’s muscular, nervous, and skeletal systems – in particular, the spine.
Before providing treatment, the chiropractor first takes the patient’s medical history and performs a physical examination, which may include lab tests to determine if treatment is appropriate for your back pain. The next step is to provide treatment for an individual patient. Our back specialists are trained in using manipulation to free stiff or restricted joints. This therapeutic method is also called “chiropractic adjustments” or “manual therapy” and involves the chiropractor using their hands to apply precise, quick and controlled thrusts to spinal joints that are causing dysfunction and related pain. The treatment plan may also include massage, stretching, electrotherapy, medical acupuncture and mobilization (movements within joint space in order to increase overall range of motion).
Be aware that chiropractic treatment may last several weeks, depending on your dysfunction and how long you have experienced it for. We will discuss your treatment program with you and answer any questions you might have about the management of your condition and your treatment.
Our goal is to effectively relieve pain in a natural way, restore mobility and flexibility in all joints, prevent injuries and improve your overall health!
Back Doctor Athens – what are the benefits of chiropractic?
Chiropractic adjustments treat a wide range of problems, including misalignment, pain, restricted function, fibromyalgia, asthma, arthritis, carpel tunnel and a decreased immune system. Other benefits include:
- Feeling more alive
- More energy, less stress
- Harmonized body function
- Enhanced immune function
- Greater flexibility
- Stronger mind and body
- Increased vitality and health
- Improved sports performance
- Maximized life potential
- Relaxation, release, restoration, renewal, rejuvenation, replenishment
Back Specialist Athens – Further Information
Our chiropractor in Athens specializes in several chiropractic subcategories, specifically:
- Pediatric Chiropractor
- Pregnancy Chiropractor
- Sports Chiropractor
- Auto Accident Doctor
- Work Injury Doctor
For further information, or if you have questions, please Contact Us.